The Living Hope Bible Church originally, the Eldon Congregational Church, was founded in 1887 by missionaries from the Congregational Church of America. That body later merged with the Evangelical and Reformed Church which resulted in the United Church of Christ denomination.
This Church was then re-incorporated in 1934, and was then named the "Railroad Congregational Church", and derived its name from the fact that a great many of its members worked for the Rock Island Railroad. In 1984, the church was again re-incorporated and was again named the Eldon Congregational Church.
In 1986 the church withdrew its affiliation from all national bodies, and became an independent church. We have no affiliation with any denomination.
In June 1997, it became the desire of the congregation to change the name of the church to a designation that more accurately reflected our beliefs and practices. The name Living Hope Bible Church was adopted, thereby reflecting our reliance upon Jesus, our Living Hope, and His Word, the Bible.